Wednesday, May 3

Job shmob

So I'm like 56 hours away from my first summer off since 1998, and already thinking about the next job? No, not really. But, I do still cast a jealous eye at those who (from where I sit, anyway) have dream jobs.

Here we go, in honor of the gainfully employed — 5 (or so) People With Whom I'd Trade Jobs:

The Commissioner of Baseball. I mean, anyone is better than Bud Selig, so why not me? My platform: Buck O'Neil goes into the Hall on Day 1. Jackson and Weaver are reinstated; Rose is not. The AL Designated Hitter is preserved, as is the Wild Card. Instant replay is outlawed forever, as is the use of asterisks in the record book. The latitude of power for umpires is greatly increased, as is their accountability. Ejections for unsportsmanlike conduct go through the roof. Pierzynski is automatically fined every time he speaks. And whenever Bonds homers, he must pee in a cup at third base before being allowed to proceed to home plate.

Sure, I'd have to deal with a ton of crap (greedy owners, spoiled players, angry fans, sanctimonious senators) — these days it really is a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't kind of job. But if I could wield the power of Kenesaw Mountain Landis, tempered by the principles of Happy Chandler, and buoyed by the courage of Bart Giamatti...

OK, maybe not. This might be one of those be-careful-what-you-wish-for situations, so maybe when it comes to baseball, I should go with my second choice of jobs: Safeco Field DJ. Then I could blast Bob Dylan's “Rambling, Gambling Willie” every time Bloomquist comes to the plate, the “Juicy Fruit” jingle for Sheffield, and “Money Money Money Monnn-ey!” for A-Rod. And I'd play the sound of a lightsaber firing up every time Ichiro holds his bat vertically in front of him. Oh yeah, and no more friggin' “God Bless America” during the 7th-inning stretch, for crying out loud. God created summer for a reason, and wants us to stop wasting His daylight and play ball.

The Host of Turner Classic Movies. Robert Osborne might just have the best job on television. He gets to introduce the greatest movies of all time, night after night, and always seems positively thrilled to be doing it. This is a classy gig. Ben Mankiewicz does the daytime/weekend shift, less formally than his cohort, but also with great relish. I have no ambition to replace either of these guys, but I do want to join their gang.

Garth Hudson. Plays every known instrument on the planet, plus a few that he made up on his own. Toured with Dylan during the electric conversion, and was instrumental (literally) in crafting the trademark sound of The Band in the late 60s. Though a low-key and quiet figure throughout his career, his innovative influence on rock has been exponential. Also the only member of The Band not currently dead, diseased, or despised.

Bernie Worrell. Played keyboards for Parliament and Funkadelic in the 70s. Joined the Talking Heads in the 80s. Did the jam-band festival circuit throughout the 90s. Currently collaborating with Les Claypoole, Buckethead, and Brain — virtuoso madmen all. From Herb Alpert to Deee-Lite... Bernie plays all the best gigs.

Darwyn Cooke. In addition to having a very cool name, he writes and draws some of the coolest (and most cinematic) comic books ever published. He has worked on the most-beloved titles of the genre: Batman, JLA, X-Men, Spider-Man — and he draws heavily on classic film noir for his Catwoman and Slam Bradley stories. Currently teaming up with the equally-great Jeph Loeb to write what will probably be a magnum opus within the realm of Batman lore.

Unfortunately, I have no artistic or musical talent to speak of, nor do I have much of a screen persona — so I guess that leaves only one position here for which I'm even remotely qualifed: Commissioner. Guess I'll settle for that, even if only in an armchair capacity this summer...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd take you over Selig in a heartbeat, but if it were up to me the DH would die an instant death and the Wild Card would be phased out. But I'm totally with you on Bonds. As for the ballpark DJ gig, A-Rod should have a rotating selection, there're enough for every time up to bat in a game: Your pick, of course, plus Pink Floyd's intro ka-chings, John and the boys singing that the best things in life are free but you can keep 'em for the birds and bees, Steve Miller taking the money and running, and of course, Hill of Beans' "Satan Lend Me a Dollar."

And speaking of fine comics artists, I just today got a copy of the "Batman: Dark Detective" TPB (which I guess reprints something from the last several years) by the great '70s Detective team of Englehart & Rogers. Classic stuff.

May 05, 2006 1:31 AM  
Blogger Matt B. said...

Thanks for the endorsement!

I hear you on the DH issue (my father is an NL die hard and loathes the DH as well). My take on it is that it creates a palpable but not insurmountable distinction between the two leagues. The DH certainly changes the game, but not at a fundamental level. I think the variation between the leagues makes the game more interesting, so I support the DH so long as it's limited to one league only. That said, if the DH went away tomorrow, I wouldn't miss it.

Same goes for the Wild Card -- it keeps more teams in contention late in the season, and anything that increases competition and gets more teams playing their hearts out through the last week of September is OK by me.

May 05, 2006 9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home