Tuesday, October 2

The Rockies win it! The Rockies win it! OH MY GOD the Rockies win it!

Sorry. Channeling a little Bob Uecker there.

But damn what a game. I was pulling for the Padres a little, because I like their team. But then, I've also always liked a lot of the guys on Colorado's roster — Matt Holliday in particular. And what a great run they had at the end, right out of Major League (though I doubt they were tearing little swatches of clothing off the Monfort brothers every time they won). So to see Holliday sliding into home (sort of) on a sacrifice in the bottom of the 13th... well, it was the best postseason moment since Dave Roberts stole 2nd in the 9th inning.

I feel bad for the Padres, or at least I did until the camera cut to their dugout and I saw the dejection on their faces. And then it all came back to me: 1984. Cubs-Padres. And once more the long-dormant hate swelled up in me, and my corneas turned Sith-yellow, and I bellowed in a dark-side growl, “Yessssss. Suck it up, Padres! Only now, at the end, do you understand!”

Then I felt bad again. After all, these Padres were not those Padres. This was Cammie! And Peavy. And Maddux, for crying out loud. Even their color scheme is completely different.

In the end though, I think I'll feel better (safer, anyway) with the Cubbies in a postseason that doesn't include any Padres.

Now (speaking of Major League), if the Indians can just knock out the Yankees, we'll really have something here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home