Tuesday, January 17

Ode to the month that crawls like a snail on the edge of straight razor

“January... shit. We're still only in January.

“Every time I think I'm gonna wake up in the sunlight. When I have to make a 9 AM meeting, it's even worse. I wake up and there's nothing. I hardly say a word to my wife, until I say ‘yes’ to a cup of coffee. When it was hot out, I wanted it to be cooler; when it turned cold, all I could think of was getting back into the sunshine.

“It's four weeks of this now — waiting for the sun, getting paler. Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Shmool squats in the bush, he gets soggier. Each time I look around, the walls move in a little tighter.”

3 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

Oh, no joke there. I can hardly drag myself out of bed these days. But buds are on the trees and the early bulbs are starting to come up, so you know spring is on its way.

Please God let spring be on its way.

January 17, 2006 10:52 AM  
Blogger HeatherLynn said...

This is my first visit to your site, and it's quite clever and entertaining...you have a real presence in your written word, personality. I like!

I will be coming back to read more...the wife liking Collin one was quite funny! :)

And I'm in Ohio, so winter/January sucks so much I'm thinking of driving all the way to Florida to escape it for awhile.

January 20, 2006 10:42 AM  
Blogger Matt B. said...

Thanks much!

It does put us Northwesterners in our place to think about the REAL winters endured by all of you in the Midwest and Great Lakes regions -- after all, we rarely have to deal with glacial ice, arctic winds, or frostbite here. Just a lot of darkness and soggy wet yuck.

Fortunately, the Tivo has been picking up a lot of Colin Mochrie programming, so at least the wife has something to get her through these long, dark days...

January 20, 2006 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home